Sunday, January 3, 2010

Old China Cabinet = Shabby Chic Linen Storage

I am finally done refinishing the old china cabinet that has been sitting in my basement and I couldn't be happier with the outcome!  I cannot take all the credit though.  My husband and I worked on this project together.
I had originally thought I would use it as a china cabinet, it's original purpose, but after thinking about it, I have decided to use it as storage for linens in the lower level bathroom we are planning on finishing off this summer.










Here are a couple pictures showing the process.
First, take the entire piece apart.  Take all knobs, screws, nails, pulls, hinges, and doors off.  Remove all drawers.  Put all of the hardware in a plastic bag so you do not loose anything.


Fix any broken parts. I had to repair the cross bar between the legs.It had been broken completely in half. 









I used wooden pegs, wood glue, and wood putty to repair the cross bar.


After you have repaired all broken pieces, you will need prepare for priming by lightly sanding the surface of your piece.  After you have sanded, take a damp cloth and wipe down your piece to get all of the sawdust off.

You are now ready to prime. After the primer has completely dried, lightly sand and wipe it down with a wet cloth. You are ready to apply the paint.






I decided to roll on the paint b/c it is less messy. I would have sprayed on the paint if it were summer and I could have been outside, but b/c I had to refinish the piece in my basement, where there is little ventilation, I decided to go the safer and less messy route. Rolling on the paint worked really well.






1 comment:

  1. Wow Katie it turned out great!! I love your blog so far and all the pictures that go with it...it's very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete